Wednesday, June 8, 2011

DYO #2: Fruit Fly Population Investigation

 Problem (Question)How does putting 2 females and 1 male fruit fly affect the number of eggs after 3 weeks.
 
         Hypothesis If i put two female and one male then there shall be 322 adult of flies because they all lay 20 eggs a day on every two weeks they become adults.
        Background Research In my research we had to  find out how many fruit flies would lay eggs after three weeks.  My group choice two females and one male.  So females lay 20 eggs and the male doesn't carry any eggs.  The Drosophila Melanogaster cycle starts with the egg (1day) then the Larva which takes (7days) then the pupa which takes (6days) and then it becomes an adult in (2days) , and about  takes what I'm researching about Fruit  flies.
        Procedure In step one- My group had to choose a combination with two females and a male to see every three weeks they would lay eggs, so in 
Step two-We put the flies to steep to determine to see which one was male or female, and then put them in an vial, also In
Step three- we had to make an observation on our vial weekly to see any changes, Then
Step four- In the end of the three weeks we are going to put them to sleep and count how many adults there are. 

 Data Table and Graph (click here for photos of your graphs)
      
  
        Analysis :  In our data we used a bar graph because we did not measure it each week.  If I put my combination of 2 females and 1 male then there should be 322 adults of fruit flies because they lay 20 eggs a day on every 2 weeks, they become adults.  My data does not support my hypothesis because there wasn't 322 fruit flies.  I think my hypothesis doesn't support my data because we didn't measure it each week, so it didn't come out to 322 fruit flies.
        Conclusion: My overall experiment was geting 115 fruit flies then 322.  How I go about getting the answer was counting the fruit flies by putting them to sleep.  What happened in my experiment was that my hypothesis was wrong.  My data did not support my hypothesis, at all because I get less than 322.  One source of error In my experiment is the measuring part.  My data and hypothesis could've gone wrong.  How I can improve my experiment If I did it again is try to measure it each week.  One question I'd like to investigate further is if there wasn't fruit flies?.

No comments:

Post a Comment